June 2018: Dave started investigating complex disciplinary allegations independently for a Russell Group university, particularly in relation to alleged sexual misconduct.
September 2016: Dave was appointed Chair of Trustees of Integrate UK.
May 2015 - March 2017: Dave was Senior Responsible Officer of the West of England Child Sexual Exploitation Victim Identification and Support Service. This was a two year projected funded through the Police and Crime Commissioners of Avon and Somerset and Wiltshire, the local authorities of Bristol, Somerset, Wiltshire, Swindon, South Gloucestershire, BaNES and North Somerset, Barnardo's and match funded by The Home Office Policing Innovation Fund. The project raised awareness of CSE through a programme of training of professionals. It funded specialist support workers who provided advocacy and emotional and practical assistance to children suffering CSE. The project has been positively evaluated and led to sustained funding to the resources provided by the project.
June 2014 - December 2018: Dave was independent chair of Gloucestershire Safeguarding Children Board. Dave is a member of The National Association of Independent LSCB Chairs:
October 2013: Dave was commissioned to chair review process to identify learning across organisations following the tragic murder of Mr. Bijan Ebrahimi in Bristol in July 2013.
2011 - 2013: Dave was commissioned to identify risk management plans in advance of release of a convicted murderer from prison.
March 2012: July 2014: Chair of Herefordshire Safeguarding Children Board.
2012 - 2014: Commissioned to provide a range of services, examples of which include:
March 2012 - September 2013: Chair of Herefordshire Safeguarding Adults Board (until a decision was made to separate the strategic management of 'People's Services' into children's and adults' services within Herefordshire Council.
2012: Appointed as a trustee of Integrate UK, a charity actively campaigning against all forms of violence against women and children and have been particularly successful in their work to end the practice of female genital mutilation. Use this below button to visit the website:
January - July 2012: Independent Chair of Child Protection Conferences in Bristol (6 months temporary contract).
February 2006-November 2011:
Detective Chief Inspector (DCI), Head of Bristol Public Protection Unit (PPU), Avon and Somerset Constabulary.
a) Leadership and management of public protection teams servicing Bristol (59 members of staff; total budget circa £1.8 million), which comprised:
• The Child Abuse Investigation Team;
• The Domestic Abuse Investigation Teams and Referral Team;
• The Hate Crime Unit;
• The Dangerous Offenders Unit (risk assessing and monitoring registered sexual offenders);
• ‘Every Child Matters’ officer, missing person co-ordinator and child protection conference officers.
b) Member of the Bristol Basic Command Unit (BCU) Senior Leadership Team.
c) Senior Investigating Officer for serious and major crime (overall responsibility for setting all aspects of investigative strategy, including intelligence gathering and analysis and interview strategy for both witnesses and suspects).
d) I also fulfilled the following multi-agency roles:
• Chair of The Bristol Violence Against Women and Girls (VAWG) Strategy Group (which incorporates strategic management of domestic abuse, sexual violence, forced marriage and honour based violence, female genital mutilation, trafficking and prostitution);
• Force Champion for police responses to Violence Against Women and Girls;
• Chair of the Bristol Level 2 Bristol Multi-agency Public Protection Arrangements (MAPPA);
• Chair of Bristol Multi-agency Risk Assessment Conferences (MARACs) sharing information and formulating plans to protect and support the highest risk victims of domestic abuse;
• Chair of the Bristol Risk reduction and Justice (violence against women and girls) Group;
• Vice-chair of the Bristol Safeguarding Children Board;
• Member of Bristol Strategic Partnership Against Hate Crime.
• Force ‘Support Network’ volunteer, providing advice and support to members of staff concerning equality and diversity issues.
October 2005 to February 2006 – Deputy Head of force PPU
Managed the change management programme devolving HQ PPU teams and development of BCU PPUs. Oversaw the forcewide police involvement in organisational change of Area Child Protection Committees to Local Safeguarding Children Boards.
December 2004 to October 2005 – Head of North Somerset CID
In charge of all areas of criminal investigation in North Somerset and member of the Senior Management Team.
October 2003 to December 2004 – DCI, force Major Crime investigation Unit
Led teams of detectives investigating major crime across the force. Produced paper proposing the strategic development of major crime investigation in Avon and Somerset; a change that has since been effected.
March 2003 to October 2003 – Detective Inspector, Bristol CID
Led teams investigating serious and major crime in central Bristol.
March 2002 – Testified at The Victoria Climbie Inquiry as a police child protection expert.
1999 to 2003 – Detective Sergeant and then Detective Inspector, Bristol Child Abuse Investigation Team.
Led teams of detectives investigating child abuse and working with other agencies to protect and safeguard children in Bristol.
1998 to 1999 – Uniformed Police Sergeant, North Somerset
1993 to 1998 – Detective Constable, North Somerset, Somerset and Bristol Child Protection Teams.
1981 to 1993 – Constable duties based at Taunton, Trinity Road, Avon Street and Bridgwater.