Providing a professional service for public protection training, consultancy, review and investigation in Bristol and the south west
I am currently independently investigating complex disciplinary allegations made to a Russell Group university, particularly in relation to alleged sexual misconduct. I have also delivered a training workshop to university staff on this subject.
Between 2012 and 2018, I performed the role of independent chair of two local safeguarding children boards (LSCBs) (Herefordshire from 2012 to 2014 and Gloucestershire from 2014 to 2018). In its review of Gloucestershire Safeguarding Children Board in 2017, it referred to me as "a respected and experienced chair" and assessed my leadership of the Board as "proactive and credible". I stepped down from this role in December 2018 to make way for the new statutory arrangements taking over from LSCBs.
From May 2015 to March 2017, I was the Senior Responsible Officer for The West of England Child Sexual Exploitation Victim Identification and Support Service. This was a two year project to support the development of responses to child sexual exploitation across the local authority areas of Wiltshire, Swindon, Bristol, Bath and North-East Somerset, North Somerset, Somerset and South Gloucestershire. This project transformed local identification and support of children being targeted for sexual exploitation and contributed to much improved responses to both victims and perpetrators.
For six months after retiring from the police service, I chaired child protection conferences for Bristol City Council, facilitating multi-agency risk assessment of children considered to be suffering or at risk of abuse or neglect and deciding on child protection plans. I became a trustee of 'Integrate UK', a young people led charity. We are actively campaigning against all forms of violence against women and children and have been particularly successful in supporting work to end the practice of female genital mutilation. I now chair the Board of Trustees.
I retired as a Detective Chief Inspector and Head of Bristol Public Protection Unit in November 2011. I was heavily involved in the strategic development of multi-agency service improvements in the areas of child protection/safeguarding, domestic violence, hate crime and the management of risk. I am also an experienced practitioner and front line police leader in these specialist areas. I was awarded an MSc degree in Child Forensic Studies from The University of Leeds in 2010. I have significant broad experience in the following areas:
- Child protection, safeguarding and child abuse investigation at all ranks from detective investigator to Head of Department;
- Contributing to serious case reviews (Children Act and MAPPA [Multi-agency Public Protection Arrangements]) and public inquiries (I testified at The Victoria Climbie Inquiry as a police child protection expert in 2002);
- Training and awareness raising;
- Media engagement;
- Configuring multi-agency public protection and safeguarding services;
- Chairing meetings effectively, single and multi-agency, operational and strategic;
- Serious and major crime investigation as senior investigating officer (SIO), particularly in relation to offences against children, sexual offences and homicides;
- Managing risk posed by dangerous and sexual offenders;
- Building and presenting compelling business cases and funding bids;
- Delivering training and presenting at conferences.
Click this button for a more detailed career history:
Dave's career history